Sustainable transport is about finding ways to move people, goods and information in ways that reduce negative impacts on the environment, economy and society.
There are many sustainable transportation strategies, including:
- Using transport modes that use energy more efficiently, such as walking or cycling and public transport improving transport choice by increasing the quality of public transport, cycling and walking facilities, services and environments
- Improving the efficiency of our car use, such as using more fuel efficient vehicles, driving more efficiently, avoiding cold starts, and car pooling
- Using cleaner fuels and technologies
- Using telecommunications to reduce or replace physical travel, such as tele-working or tele-shopping
- Planning the layout of our cities to bring people and their needs closer together, and to make cities more vibrant and walkable
- Developing policies that allow and promote these options